Thursday, June 4, 2015

Flax seeds?? 4 ways to get your kids to eat them.

Why should they even eat flax seeds? A few reasons: alpha linoleic acid which is an omega 3 building block that is good for brain development, fiber for fullness and blood sugar stability, and it can replace some of the flour or fat in your baking recipes. 

We all try to get our kids to eat healthy. It's not easy! I have concocted so many things that my kids have turned their cute little noses up at. I have tried the purée method and I would rather them just eat two bites of something they may not like that took 5 minutes to make than to spend that kind of time in the kitchen just to hear how much they don't liiiike it.

These are tried and true in our house. We have at least one of these a day. Lately we have had more than that because breakfast comes in shifts and they all want a little something different!

1. Smoothies 

This one seems the most obvious since you can hide almost anything in there! We use a plant based smoothie mix to keep it easy on the tummy. We all like chocolate smoothies in our house and I usually add about a teaspoon of ground flax per smoothie. Here is a link to the smoothie mix we use

2. Muffins

Muffins don't happen often enough in our house! I love adding oats, fruit, coconut, and flax to a basic muffin mix. That is what I have pictured above. I have a great recipe for it, but it will come when I actually remember to measure. ;) In the meantime, just take your favorite muffin mix and add your favorite fruit plus a tablespoon of ground flax! 

3. Oatmeal 

We use a quick cooking oat, cooking it in water, and our additions are coconut oil, strawberry preserves, and a teaspoon of flax per serving.

4. Cinnamon toast 

This is my favorite way to use ground flax! My kids can't tell the difference between the brown sugar and the ground flax. I use 1 tablespoon of flax, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and one teaspoon of cinnamon. I spread 4 slices of bread with coconut oil and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture. Then I bake it at 350 for about 8 minutes. YUM!

I hope y'all find these as tasty as we do. If you have any fun ways to incorporate ground flax seeds, I would love to try them out!

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment