Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Suppers

So I am fairly certain this is the best time of the week for me. I get to spend a little extra time in the kitchen because the hubby knows that this is my happy place. I also am able to get all of us together for a meat and three. The mushrooms count as a side dish ;) I do love these kind of meals and since we only eat meat a few times a week, I try and make it extra special. What is on the table today? Roasted chicken thighs over mushrooms, with garlicky squash, and garden tomatoes with herb buttermilk dressing. I love garlic and this meal is super heavy on the garlic. It is good for you after all! If you are not a fan, cut back to your taste.

Herbs from the garden
Herb and Garlic Salt

8 basil leaves
5 green onions
3 sage leaves
2 stems of fresh oregano
4 small sprigs of dill
1 handful of parsley leaves
5 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons salt


Put the garlic in the food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add salt and herbs. Pulse until all finely chopped. Use within 24 hours.

Roasted Chicken Thighs with mushrooms:

4 chicken thighs
Herb and garlic salt
Olive Oil
1 lb of your favorite mushroom
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Cast Iron Skillet

Making that skin crispy!
Place a teaspoon of herb salt under the skin of each chicken thigh. If you have the time, pat the chicken thighs dry and put them back into the fridge until you are ready to cook them. If you have no time to put them into the fridge, just pat them as dry as you can. Oil the skin of the chicken and place it skin side down in a really, really, really hot cast iron skillet. When the chicken skin is brown and crispy pull it out of the skillet. Place it skin side up on a plate. Add the mushrooms to the skillet. Saute for a few minutes, just until the mushrooms are soft. Add the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Place the chicken back in the skillet (skin side up) and into the over at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Just before serving, take out the chicken and add the butter and vinegar to the pan. Stir it into the leftover drippings. Serve the sauce over the chicken.

Garlicky Squash

I need a better camera.
Summer squash
2 yellow squash
1 head of garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Cut up the yellow squash into bite size chunks. I like to make them odd shapes, but keep them the same size. Peel all the garlic cloves. Place them all on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes

Buttermilk Dressing

That is buttermilk in a glass jar!
I like this on chips too.
1 cup of buttermilk
4 oz of sour cream
2 tablespoons of herb and garlic salt
1 teaspoon of sugar

Mix all together in a mason jar. Use within 3 days.

I used the buttermilk dressing over
these tomatoes from my garden.

Now just to make sure you guys still love me the next time you see me; I have to tell you how this really went down. I started at 2:30 pm I made the herb salt and the dressing. I took a bunch of cute pictures and really took my time in making everything look just right. At 4pm I had a thing to go to, so I had to pause. Then at 5:30 I went to pick up my son from a neighbors house. He didn't really want to leave and I like them so I stayed to chat for a while. I got back home from across the street at 6pm. The kids ate mac and cheese, broccoli, strawberries. We were all in the kitchen together, but we weren't sitting down for dinner together. Dustin and I didn't have dinner until 8:30 (we were on the couch) and the kitchen looks like this:


Happy Sunday Suppers Y'all!

1 comment: